Tuesday, May 24, 2005

TULIP Revisited

What about a look at the old Calvinst acrostic: TULIP? Honestly, is there a better smelling "flower" in Christendom? (I don't know what I really mean by that either.)

I have read many articles and postings on how Calvinists want the acrostic changed. Why? Why would we want to change something that truly identifies some of the core beliefs of the Reformed faith? Many are concerned the terms we've been using are too confusing: Limited Atonement should be "Definite Atonement" or "Particular Redemption"; Irresistable Grace should be "Effectual Grace"; and so on.


Personally, I don't like the idea of getting rid of the acrostic merely because some terms may confuse a reader or listener. From well before I even became a Calvinist, the mere mention of TULIP caused discussion. That's what I like to see. Bring up a doctrine like Limited Atonement and you are bound to discuss the Gospel, be it with a Mormon or an Arminian or Universalist. Wait, Mormons are Universalists and Arminians...hmmm.

Well, if everyone else goes away from TULIP, I'll stick with it. What I will go through here, as time permits, is what I like to call the Layman's TULIP (yeah, not too clever, but simple...I am a layman). This will be a simple look at the Five Points of Calvinism. I don't have the high education, and would like to be able to present these doctrines to folks who cannot get into the heavy works of Gerstner or Murray or Owen or Edwards. Let's see what we can come up with.

Of course, we must start with what the five points are. TULIP stands for:
T otal Depravity
U nconditional Election
L imited Atonement
I rresistable Grace
P erseverance of the Saints

I'll just go in order. I pray the Lord uses these simple explanations and Scriptural expositions to reach the hearts of many.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home