Saturday, September 24, 2005

What's on my desk?

For no particular reason whatsoever, I thought I would post the books I have on my desk right now. At this time, some of them are here because we just came from the public library. Others are for study.
  • All of Grace, C. H. Spurgeon: an awesome piece of writing; I'll be posting a review on this classic work soon.
  • Cruelty and Civilization: The Roman Games, Roland Auguet: one I bought real cheap at the library sale they had; the information is up my educational alley.
  • Constantinople in the Age of Justinian, Glanville Downey: another cheap purchase from the library with relevant info.
  • The Gospel According to Paul: the Creative Genius Who Brought Jesus to the World, Robin Griffith-Jones: checked it out from the library.
  • Jesus Through the Centuries: His Place in the History of Culture, Jaroslav Pelikan: on loan from the library; already started it and will soon have blog on a great comment he made (he got his PhD from U. of Chicago before he was 23).
  • The Creeds of Christendom, Volume III: The Evangelical Prostestant Creeds, Philip Schaff: a great series from another great historian.
  • The Story of Christianity: the Early Church to the Present Day, Justo Gonzalez: a great survey of Church history, with some fascinating bits of analysis and interpretation.
  • Writing History: A Guide for Students, William Storey: a great little book for students of History; picked it up for my Historiography course a few years ago.
  • A Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament, Zerwick and Grosvenor: a great little aid for my GNT reading.
  • NASB Study Bible from Zondervan: this one is my wife's.
  • NASB Ryrie Study Bible: that's mine; don't scoff at the "Ryrie" part; it's a great Bible regardless.
  • Greek New Testament, UBS 3d edition corrected, with dictionary: I like the 3d corrected over the 4th because it is by far easier to read.
  • The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis: no introduction necessary.
  • J. Vernon McGee Thru the Bible commentaries (all volumes except 7 of them, I think): this is a permanent fixture on the desk; it actually has a vast amount of sentimental value because of the previous owner and my wife; this set will never leave us, plus it's fun to read in McGee's voice (especially because he writes like he talks).
Soon I hope to have some more room for extra books I need readily accessible for my studies and readings (especially when I move off the library books).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home