Friday, July 22, 2005

USA 2:1 Honduras

Well, well. The US pulled off quite the come back victory yesterday afternoon in their semifinal match of the CONCACAF Gold Cup. The States were down 1:0 until the 86th minute, then pulling out a win in stoppage time off the head of relatively unknown defender Oguchi Onyewu. Exciting stuff; I really am happy for them. They are not my favorite soccer nation (England easily holds that honor, then comes Brazil), but I do hope they can succeed.

I understood a little better how they pulled out the win when I noticed Bruce Arena (the coach for the squad for the last too many years) had been ejected in the 58th minute. I have not been a fan of coach Arena for a long time. His strategies and player selection is sorely lacking, and obviously has not garnered the US any true international prestige. He will not be on the bench on Sunday when the US plays Panama for the Gold Cup Championship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home