Thursday, June 23, 2005

Borders Bookstore

I love Borders Bookstore. I am a huge fan. I worked there for about a year and a half or so; for a book lover like me that was heaven. I got to see the books as they came into the store (shipping and receiving were a big part of my duties), could set aside my choices before anyone else laid their eyes on them, had a tremendous discount, and was able to help people find books and even influence them towards certain books of my choosing. Even before I got the job with them, I prefered their store over Barnes and Nobles.

I was in the local Borders last night; we received a gift card to the mall and Borders counted. Yeah! While searching for books on martyrdom and Anabaptism I noticed there was absolutely nothing on the shelves. Every book on martyrdom has to be ordered (the Loeb Library work of the Apostolic Fathers with the Martyrdom of Polycarp in it doesn't count). Every book on the Anabaptists has to be ordered. Seriously: where's the love? They didn't even have Jasper Ridley's Bloody Mary's Martyrs up there; I own that one, but that's a popular English reformation era author (ahem...who cannot get Thomas Bilney's name right...ahem) and not even he can have representation.

Than I walked by the Greek section. Now that's slim pickin's. My only real choices were the LSJ Lexicon (too expensive) or Mounce's NT Greek Grammar (too expensive).

So, what did we get? The Mission, Unbreakable and Signs. We are huge M. Night Shyamalan fans, and The Mission will inspire you to no end. I am also waiting on a few books I ordered from Amazon.com. That along with some changes in my job situation places me in a pretty exciting time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home