Monday, March 21, 2005

First Blog

This will be my first blog. May the Lord bless even this avenue of expression.

I am going thru John iii in Greek. My intention is to get a better understanding of the ever popular verse, John iii.16. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." That is the popular translation most all of us have either heard or memorized.

Now, when I translate, I like to be very literal--word for word--to start, then I use the intended meaning of the Greek words to put the passage into English folks can understand. Here's what I've come up with: "For in this way God loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, so that all who believe in Him might not perish but may have eternal life." Seems similar to the "popular" translation, right? Not after close examination and getting a better understanding of the words being translated. In my next blog, I'll get into more details.

Blessings in Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home